Rahul Kumar Johar, better known as Karan Johar, is an Indian film director, producer, screenwriter, costume designer, actor, and television personality who mainly works in Bollywood. Karan widely referred to as KJo. He Johar is considered one of the most successful filmmakers in India.
Karan Johar Biography & Wiki
Karan Johar’s nickname is KJo. He was born on 25 May 1972 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Hence, his current age is 49 years. Karan’s Zodiac is Gemini.
Height, Weight & Body Measurements
|Height in centimeters||178 cm|
|Height in meters||1.78m|
|Height in feet inches||5’ 10”|
|Weight in Kilograms||69 kg|
|Weight in Pounds||150 lbs|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
Karan Johar Family Members
Karan Johar’s father was Late Yash Johar, an Indian Bollywood film producer, and his mother’s name is Hiroo Johar, a famous Indian film producer. Baldev Raj Chopra and Yash Chopra, the noted filmmakers, are his maternal uncles.
Dharam Raj Chopra, the cinematographer, and Raj Chopra, film distributor, are also his maternal uncles. Vimla Chopra is his maternal aunt. Ravi Chopra (film producer and director), Aditya Chopra (filmmaker and director), and Uday Chopra (actor, producer, screenwriter) are his maternal cousins.
Rani Mukerji is the sister-in-law of Karan Johar, as she is married to his maternal cousin, Aditya Chopra, and Adira Chopra, Kapil Chopra, and Abhay Chopra are Karan Johar nephews.
Girls, affairs, spouse name
Karan Johar is still unmarried. Karan became the father of twins through surrogacy. Karan’s son, Yash’s name, has been taken from his grandfather’s name Yash Chopra, and his daughter’s name Roohi is the rearrangement of his mother, Hiroo’s name.
Education and School, College
Karan did his schooling at Greenlawn’s High School, Mumbai. He attended H.R. College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai, and also he received a Master’s degree in French.
Favourites Things and Like & Dislike
|Favourite Fashion Brand||Givenchy|
|Favourite Actor||Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Rishi Kapoor|
|Favourite Actress||Meryl Streep, Kajol, Rani Mukerji and Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia bhatt|
|Favourite Films||Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge|
|Favourite TV Show||The Golden Girls|
|Favourite Hobbies||Collecting Old Things and Antiques|
|Favourite Restaurant||Starbucks Coffee in Mumbai|
|Favourite Foods||Parsi Food, Chicken, Fish|
|Favourite Destination||New York, Goa and Dubai|
|Favourite Car||Volkswagen Touareg|
|Favourite Beverage||Saint Emilion (Wine), Dom Perignon (Pink champagne)|
Karan Johar’s Filmography
Karan Johar began his profession in the media industry from acting. In 1989, Karan Johar performed the role of Shrikant in the Doordarshan Serial “Indradhanush“. The Bollywood commercial industry impacted Karan Johar in his early childhood. As a child, he influenced commercial Indian cinema, citing Raj Kapoor, Yash Chopra, and Sooraj R. Barjatya as his inspirations.
He made his first Bollywood appearance as an actor with the role of a friend of Shah Rukh Khan in the movie “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge” and as an assistant director with the same film.
In 1998, Karan Johar directed and also written the blockbuster sentimental film, “Kuch Hota Hai“. This film is considered his directorial debut. Karan Johar directed and wrote the troupe showed Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham in 2001 and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna in 2006. These films’ outcome was highly fruitful. In 2010, Karan Johar directed another movie depicting social influence, ‘My Name Is Khan‘. This film turned out to be a huge success.
In addition to his directorial work, he has produced several films by other directors under the Dharma banner. Many of these films have become major successes.
As a producer, “Sooryavanshi” and “Brahmastra” are two upcoming projects of Karan Johar. Furthermore, he has worked as a costume designer for Shah Rukh Khan on many films.
Karan Johar has additionally wandered effectively into different roads of the media industry. Karan Johar runs a T.V. program, “Koffee with Karan“, a talk show where he interviewed actors, directors, producers, and other prominent members of the Hindi film industry. The series ran intermittently between 2004 to 2019, with six seasons as of June 2020.
He also associated with some web series.
Award And Recognitions
- His debuted film “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” received five awards, including two Filmfare Awards (Best Director and Best Screenplay) and one National Film Awards(Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment) and the rest were Screen Awards(Best Director) and Zee Cine Awards(Best Director).
- In 2001, Karan Johar awarded by IIFA Awards(Best Costume Design) for “Mohabbatein”. later, in 2002, he got two Filmfare Awards (Best Dialogue and Best Scene) and one IIFA Awards (Best Dialogue) for the film “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham”.
- Then in 2004, Karan got IIFA Awards(Best Story) and Screen Awards(Best Screenplay) for “Kal Ho Naa Ho”. In 2008, he also received IIFA Awards(Best Costume Design) for “Om Shanti Om”.
- Furthermore, in 2011, Karan received one of each Filmfare Awards(Best Director), IIFA Awards (Best Director), Producers Guild Film Awards(Best Director, and two Zee Cine Awards(Best Director and Best Story) for “My Name Is Khan”.
- Then, in 2013, he also got Producers Guild Film Awards(President’s Honour) and Stardust Awards(Dream Director) for “Student of the Year”.
- Again in 2019, Karan received Mirchi Music Awards in the category of Make it Large Award. Further, he received Filmfare Awards(Best Film) for “Raazi”.
- Karan Johar got Indian Television Academy Awards (Best Anchor – Talk/Chat Show) in 2005 and Indian Telly Awards (Best Anchor) in 2012 for “Koffee with Karan”.
- Finally, On 25 January 2020, Karan Johor’s name was announced for the “Padma Shri award“, India’s fourth-highest civilian honour in the Arts field.
Salary and Net Worth
Karan takes ₹6-8 crore/T.V. show season, and his estimated net worth are $172 million.
Karan Johar Contact Address
|House address||Carter Road, Bandra, Mumbai|
|Office address||2nd Floor, Supreme Chambers, 17-18 Shah Industrial Estate, Unit No 201 202, Off Veera Desai Road, Andheri (West), Mumbai –400053|
|Phone Number||He didn’t like to share his Phone number publicly.|
|Email Id||Not Available|
- Indian film directors Ram Gopal Verma and Karan Johar are always in a cold war with each other. The fight started after Ram Gopal expressed his desire to remake Raavan (2010) as “My Name Is Raavan“, which was an indirect dig at Karan Johar’s “My Name Is Khan“. Karan replied by saying, “You have an amazing sense of humor Ramu! Never shows up in your films though”. A similar thing happened when Karan’s movie, “Student Of The Year” (2019) when Ram Gopal tweeted that if someone takes off Karan Johar’s Student of the year from Teacher of the Year, it will become a disaster of the year. Karan replied, Disaster is your territory, Ramu.No one can ever replace the comfortable place you have made for yourself.
- Later, in 2015, an F.I.R. was lodged against Karan and Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh, Sonakshi Sinha, Arjun Kapoor for their participation in the controversial ‘A.I.B. Roast’. A complaint filed against them for indulging in indecent behaviour in public.
- He further attracted controversy in 2016 after the release of the trailer of Karan Johar’s “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” and Ajay Devgan’s “Shivaay”, K.R.K. gave a biased review in favour of “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil”. Following it, Ajay Devgan claimed that Karan Johar paid K.R.K. for the trailer reviews.
- In September 2016, after the Uri attack, political parties such as M.N.S. and Shiv Sena gave Pakistani actors a request to leave India. They told the Bollywood filmmakers to exclude their scenes in the films. Though Pakistani actors such as Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan left India, Karan continuously supported them on Twitter. Following this, M.N.S. threatened Karan by saying that they would beat him up if he will continue to work with Pakistani actors.
- In Koffee With Karan, Anushka Sharma revealed how Karan Johar touched her inappropriately on “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” sets. Anushka even said that she would file a sexual harassment case against him and further added that even Jacqueline Fernandez once complained about Karan touching her inappropriately”.
- He attracted controversy over Anushka Sharma’s character in the film “Ae Dil Hai Muskil” (2016). In his statement, he gave a weird reason for Anushka’s character “s death in the film. He said- “Yes, the last met with many polarised responses and rightfully so, but I was like she didn’t love him (Ranbir Kapoor). She has to die. I wrote this character. He loved her so crazily. She could’ve loved him back. Why couldn’t she? So she got cancer, and she died.”
- Karan Johar criticized for supporting nepotism by casting children of established Bollywood stars in his films and not supporting industry newcomers. Karan was first accused of this by Kangana Ranaut on the talk show “Koffee With Karan”. Within Bollywood, the majority didn’t support the criticisms, but many on social media kept it.
- After Sushant Singh Rajput’s suicide on 14 June 2020, Karn Johar was criticized by many for promoting nepotism in Bollywood. His name also appeared in an F.I.R. filed in Bihar against some Bollywood personalities, including Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Salman Khan, and Ekta Kapoor.
- Furthermore, in September 2020, Karan Johar’s name appeared in the Bollywood drug row, which started following the death of Sushant Singh Rajput. In a series of investigations by the Narcotics Control Bureau (N.C.B.), many Bollywood celebrities questioned by the agency Kshitij Prasad, a former employee of Dharmatic Entertainment (the digital arm of Dharma Productions), was also arrested. Soon after the arrest of Kshitij Prasad, many news channels started airing a video of 2019 hosted by Karan Johar in which many Bollywood celebrities, including Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Vicky Kaushal, Shahid Kapoor, Ranbir Kapoor, and Deepika Padukone, and filmmakers Zoya Akhtar and Ayan Mukerji, were claimed to be high on drugs. However, Karan Johar, through a post on his Twitter handle, denied any such drug party hosted by him.
Facts about Karan Johar
- Karan Johar is very much attached to his mother and often addressed as ‘Mumma’s Boy’.
- As per his mother, he is a compassionate and emotional person he has been carrying since childhood.
- In 2007, Karan Johar was chosen as one of 250 Global Young Leaders by the Geneva-based World Economic Forum 2006.
- Later, on 30 September 2006, he became the first Indian filmmaker to be a jury member in the Miss World competition in Warsaw, Poland.
- He was the only other Indian apart from PM Manmohan Singh invited for the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
- In 2017, Karan Johar invited as a cultural leader to World Economic Forum.
- His ultimate goal is to bag an Oscar. He once shared that he wants to walk the red carpet with Oscar in his hand, and he would love to hold that trophy and say, “This is for you, India.”
- Karan is a cricket freak and loves playing it whenever he gets some time.
- During an interview with NDTV, he revealed that at one point of time in his life, he suffered from depression and anxiety attacks.
- For his direction, “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil”, he wrote the entire film script in 30 days.
- He hates reading scripts, although he manages to get every shot correct on his sets.
- Karan hates replying to people by mail, and it is torture to him. He said that his secretary responds to more than half of his emails, and the remaining personal ones, he prefers calling personally and replying.
- Karan was once superstitious regarding the letter ‘K’ and believed that this letter brings success and fame for his movies. So, he came up with films named Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. However, after watching Lage Raho Munna Bhai, he gave up this belief and tried other letters as initials in his film’s names.
- He wanted to become a hairstylist at the age of 4, a doctor at 10, then a copywriter at 15, and finally, at 20, he got stable at becoming a filmmaker.
- Karan Johar loved dancing to old Hindi songs and was a big Bollywood buff since his childhood.
- He loves wearing velvet jackets.
- Also, he had a crush on Twinkle Khanna.
- In 2015, he played a negative role of Kaizad Khambatta in the film “Bombay Velvet”, and he charged only ₹11 as his fee.
- He loves to dance to the “Radha Teri Chunri” song.
- “An Unsuitable Boy” is an autobiographical book by Karan Johar.