Amitabh Harivansh Rai Bachchan, better known as Amitabh Bachchan, is one of the most brilliant and versatile actors in Bollywood. Apart from an actor, he is also a producer, occasional playback singer, television host, former politician, and philanthropist. He faced many challenges during his acting career, from physical to financial, which broke him deeply. Still, due to his hard work and determination, he now has become the Bollywood megastar. Amitabh Bachchan is not only a name but a brand in the Bollywood industry. The famous French director Francois Truffaut called him the “one-man industry.” He is the recipient of several awards, including five “National Film Awards,” four in the category of best Actor’, and one in the category of ‘Dadasaheb Phalke Award as lifetime achievement award’ and sixteen. “Filmfare Awards.”Amitabh Bachchan also received the Padma Shri in 1984, “Padma Bhushan” in 2001, and “Padma Vibhushan” in 2015.
Amitabh Bachchan Biography & Wiki
Some nicknames of Amitabh Bachchan are Munna, Big B, AmitJi, Angry Young Man, AB Sr., Amith, and Shahenshah of Bollywood. He was born on 11 October 1942 in Allahabad( now Prayagraj ), United Provinces, British India (now, Uttar Pradesh, India). Hence, his current age is 79 years. Big B’s Zodiac is Libra.
Height, Weight & Body Measurements
|Height in centimeters||188 cm|
|Height in meters||1.88 m|
|Height in feet inches||6’ 2”|
|Weight in Kilograms||80 kg|
|Weight in Pounds||176 lbs|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
Amitabh Bachchan Family Members
Big B’s father’s name is Late Harivansh Rai Bachchan, who was a Hindi poet. His mother’s name is Late Teji Bachchan, who was a social activist. Big B has a younger brother Ajitabh Bachchan. Late Shyama is his stepmother.
Girls, affairs, spouse name
It was rumored that Big B and Indian actresses Parveen Babi had a relationship for some time. Also, there was a buzz that he had an affair with Indian actress Rekha.
On 3 June 1973, Big B got married to Jaya Bhaduri, and the couple has a daughter Shweta Bachchan Nanda and a son Abhishek Bachchan, who is also an actor. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan( Indian actress and the Miss World 1994 pageant) is his daughter-in-law.
Education and School, College
Big B did his schooling at Jnana Pramodhini, Boys High School, Allahabad ( now Prayagraj ), and graduated (B.Sc.) from Kirori Mal College, New Delhi, India.
Favorites Things and Like & Dislike
|Favourite Actor||Dilip Kumar|
|Favourite Actress||Waheeda Rehman|
|Favourite Comedian||Mehmood Ali|
|Favorite Films||Kagaz Ke Phool, Ganga Jamuna, Pyasa, Gone With The Wind, Godfather, And Black, Scarface|
|Favorite Singer||Kishore Kumar And Lata Mangeshkar|
|Favorite Music Instrument||Sarod|
|Favourite Food||Bhindi Sabzi, Jalebi, Kheer, And Gulab Jamun|
|Favorite Sweet Shop||Jhama Sweets, Chembur, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Singing, Blogging, And Reading|
|Favorite Sport||Cricket, Lawn Tennis And Football|
|Favourite Football Club||Chelsea|
|Favourite Tennis Player||Novak Djokovic|
|Favorite Destination||London, Switzerland, And Saint Petersburg|
|Favorite Perfume Brand||Lomani|
|Favorite Cars||Bentley Arnage R, Bentley Continental GT, Lexus LX 470, Mercedes-Benz SL 500 AMG, Porche Cayman S, Range Rover SUV, Mini Cooper, Rolls Royce Phantom, Toyota Land Cruiser, BMW 760Li, BMW X5, Mercedes Benz S320, Mercedes Benz S600, Mercedes Benz E240|
Amitabh Bachchan filmography
After completing his studies, Big B started working with Shaw Wallace. He later started working as a freight broker for the shipping firm Bird and Co in Kolkata. He made his film debut as a voice narrator in the National Award-winning film- “Bhuvan Shome” (1969) by Mrinal Sen.
Later, in 1969, he made his first break as an actor in the Bollywood film “Saat Hindustani,” in which he played the role of Anwar Ali. Big B grabbed the limelight after the 1973 film “Zanjeer.” Big B featued in several superhit films, like, “Anand“(1971), “Namak Haraam“(1973), “Abhimaan“(1973), “Deewaar“(1975), “Zameer“(1975), “Sholay“(1975), “Chupke Chupke“(1975), “Mili“(1975), “Kabhi Kabhie“(1976), “Amar Akbar Anthony“(1977), “Parvarish“(1977), “Kasme Vaade“(1978), “Don“(1978), “Sooryavansham“(1999), “Mohabbatein“(2000), “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…“(2001), “Aankhen“(2002), “Baghban“(2003), “Khakee“(2004), “Black“(2005), “Waqt: The Race Against Time“(2005), “Bunty Aur Babli“(2005), “Paheli“(2005), “Sarkar“(2005), “Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna“(2006), “Cheeni Kum“(2007), “Bhoothnath“(2008), “Sarkar Raj“(2008), “Paa“(2009),”, “Bhoothnath Returns“(2014), “Piku“(2015), “Pink“(2016) , And “Badla“(2019) etc.
In 1981, He debuted in Bengali film with “Anusandhan,” and in the same year, “Vilayati Babu” (Special appearance) became his Punjabi debuted film. Big B’s debuted Marathi film was “Akka” (Special appearance). His debuted Bhojpuri film was “Ganga,” and in 2010, “Kandahar” became Big B’s debuted Malayalam film. In 2014, He debuted in the Telugu film industry through “Manam” (Special appearance).
Big B also acted in a Hollywood movie named “The Great Gatsby.” He has also narrated several films including “Shatranj Ke Khilari” (1977), “Lagaan” (2001), “Parineeta” (2005), “Jodhaa Akbar” (2008), “Ra.One” (2011), “Krrish 3” (2013) and “Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi“(2019) etc. Big B has also performed as a playback singer for films like “Laawaris” (1981), “Silsila” (1981), “Baghban” (2003), “Paa” (2009)and “Shamitabh” (2015), etc.
In 1996, he started his film production company Amitabh Bachchan Corporation Ltd., whose first release Tere Mere Sapne (1996), was a box-office hit. Some produce, as well as acted films of Big B, were “Major Saab” (1998), “Paa” (2009), etc. In 2020, Big B debuted in the digital world through the movie “Gulabo Sitabo” (Amazon Prime Video). “Chehre,” “Jhund, “Brahmāstra,” “Butterfly,” “Mayday,” and “Good-Bye” his upcoming projects. He also featured in music videos named, “Mile Sur Mera Tumhara“(1998), “Kabhi Nahi“(2002), “Phir Mile Sur Mera Tumhara“(2010) and “Phir Se“(2017) etc.
Since 2000, Big B hosted the popular Indian TV game show “Kaun Banega Crorepati” on Sony Tv. He also hosted the famous reality show Bigg Boss Season 3 (2009) on Colors TV and the Indian entertainment talk show “Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi” in Star Plus (2015-2016). Apart from that, he acted in some TV shows like Yudh (2014) as Yudhisthir Sikarwar and Astra Force (2016-2017) as Astra (Voice Role).
Award And Recognitions
- Because of Big B’s brilliant performance in the Indian film industry, he is the recipient of several awards, including five “National Film Awards,” four in the category of best Actor’, and one in the category of ‘Dadasaheb Phalke Award as lifetime achievement award’ and also sixteen “Filmfare Awards.”
- Big B received four “National Film Award” in the category of Best Actor for the films, “Agneepath” (1990), “Black” (2005), “Paa” (2009), and “Piku” (2015).
- In 2018, he also received the “Dadasaheb Phalke Award” as a lifetime achievement award.
- In 1984, Big B was honored by the Government of India with the “Padma Shri.”
- He also received “Padma Bhushan” from the Government of India in 2001.
- In 2015, Big B was also honored by the Government of India with “Padma Vibhushan.”
- In 2001, he was honored with the “Actor of the Century Award” at the “Alexandria International Film Festival” held in Egypt to contribute to the cinema.
Salary and Net Worth
Big B takes ₹25 Crore per film. The estimated net worth of Amitabh Bachchan is $455 million.
|House address||Jalsa, B/2, Kapol Housing Society, VL Mehta Road, Juhu, Mumbai – 400049, Maharashtra, India And Pratiksha, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Phone Number||He didn’t like to share his Phone number publicly.|
|Email Id||Not Available|
- Big B’s name appeared in the Bofors scandal in which he was later declared not guilty.
- During his peak acting years, Stardust imposed a 15-years ban on him. According to his blog, he brought the idea of a National Emergency and ban on Media. So, the media took that otherwise and banned Amitabh Bachchan, which means no interviews, no mention or pictures, etc.
- In 1996, he also had to face a legal battle for organizing the Miss World competition inappropriately.
- In 2007, Big B further attracted controversy when Big B was indicted for submitting false documents to prove that he is a farmer. Faizabad court ruled that Amitabh Bachchan was anything but a farmer— a secret most of India would have guessed but one that has landed the superstar in trouble over two messy land deals. According to the court, the actor had got himself certified a farmer by forgery to hold on to a 24-acre plot he had bought near Lonavla in Pune in the mid-1990s. Since Maharashtra laws allow only a farmer to buy agricultural land, the actor showed the Pune district authorities a certificate from the then Barabanki district magistrate, Ramashankar Sahu, saying Amitabh Bachchan was a farmer because he owned farmland in the district. The court ruled that the 1993 Barabanki land transfer in Amitabh Bachchan’s name was illegal.
- He used to promote “Maggi,” saying that it is very healthy for kids. But, after the “Maggi” controversy (MSG in high amount) in 2015, he was badly criticized for it. A district court directed police to register an FIR against him.
Facts about Amitabh Bachchan
- His mother, Teji Bachchan, was a Sikh.
- Initially, Big B was named ‘Inquilab,’ but after the suggestion of Sumitranandan Pant (Indian poet), it was changed to ‘Amitabh,’ which means- “The light that will never die.” Although his real surname is ‘Srivastava,’ his father replaced it with “Bachchan” because his father Harivansh Rai abandoned the surname ‘Shrivastava’ to protest against the caste system in India.
- When he was young, he wanted to become an engineer and was eager to join the Indian Air Force.
- Big B, known for his Baritone voice, was once rejected by All India Radio.
- During Big B’s college days, he was a good athlete and won the 100, 200, and 400-meter races. At the Sherwood in Nainital, he also won a Boxing Championship.
- In 1984, he also took a break from acting and entered politics to support his friend Rajiv Gandhi( 6th Prime Minister of India). He also contested for the Allahabad seat in the 8th Lok Sabha elections against H.N. Bahuguna. He won with the highest victory margin in the history of the general elections (68.2% of the vote). But, after three years in politics, he resigned, calling politics a cesspool.
- In 1997, Big B made his comeback as an actor with the Bollywood film “Mrityudata” produced by ABCL(Amitabh Bachchan Corporation Ltd. ). Still, the film was failed both critically and financially. ABCL was the main sponsor of the 1996 Miss World beauty pageant in Bangalore, but the company lost millions. Later, ABCL went into administration and was declared a failed company by the Indian Industries board. During that time, Indian politician Amar Singh helped him financially, and later Big B started supporting him and his party Samajwadi Party.
- On 26 July 1982, he suffered a near-fatal injury while filming “Coolie” at the University Campus in Bangalore. He was also declared clinically dead for 11 minutes by the doctors till they plunged adrenaline injections into his chest, saving his life. Also, after the “Coolie” incident, he was diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis (a long-term neuromuscular disease that leads to varying degrees of muscle weakness).
- In 2017, during one of the episodes of “Kaun Banega Crorepati” (KBC), Amitabh Bachchan spoke about his affair with Hepatitis B. He said that he had lost 75% of his liver due to a late diagnosis of the disease, which he contracted through a blood transfusion after the “Coolie” accident. He also said that he infected with Tuberculosis (TB) on the set of KBC in 2000. However, after proper treatment, he is now free from Tuberculosis (TB).
- Later, in 1983, his left hand was burnt during Diwali.
- Big B shared a close bond with late actor Mehmood Ali who used to call him Danger Diabolic, and during his struggling days, Mehmood Ali offered Big B to stay in his own house.
- He is ambidextrous and can write well with both hands.
- Amitabh Bachchan was also appointed the UNICEF ambassador of the hepatitis B awareness campaign. He was also made a UNICEF goodwill ambassador for the polio Eradication Campaign in India in 2002.
- Many things in India are named after him, like Amitabh Bachchan Sports Complex, Amitabh Bachchan Road, and Amitabh Bachchan Government Inter College, Saifai.
- In 2017, All Bengal Amitabh Bachchan Fans’ Association unveiled the life-size statue of Mr. Bachchan in Tiljala, a neighborhood of South Kolkata. Crafted by Subrata Bose, the statue has given Amitabh Bachchan’s ‘Sarkar’ avatar, and here he is worshipped as a God.
- In 2012, he was named Hottest Vegetarian by PETA India, and also in PETA Asia’s contest poll, he won Asia’s Sexiest Vegetarian title.
- Also, he supported the campaign by PETA in India to free Sunder, a 14-year-old elephant who was chained and tortured in a temple in Kolhapur, Maharashtra.
- Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek hold the Guinness World record for being the only father-son duo to have played reversed roles on-screen in the Bollywood movie “Paa” (2009).
- Several books have been written about him like “Amitabh Bachchan: The Legend,” “To be or not to be: Amitabh Bachchan,” AB: The Legend,” “Amitabh Bachchan: Ek Jeevit Kimvadanti,” “Amitabh: The Making of a Superstar” etc.
- He also wrote a book, “Soul Curry for you and me – An Empowering Philosophy That Can Enrich Your Life,” published in 2002.
- In June 2000, he became the First living Asian whose statue was modeled at the London’s Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. There are also many other places where his statue was modeled, like New York, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Washington, and Delhi.
- Big B has been involved with many social causes. For example, he donated ₹1.1 million to clear the debts of nearly 40 beleaguered farmers in Andhra Pradesh and ₹3 million to clear the debts of some 100 Vidarbha farmers.
- In 2013, he and his family donated ₹2.5 million to a charitable trust, Plan India, that works to better young girls in India. In the same year, he also donated ₹1.1 million to the Maharashtra Police Welfare Fund.
- Big B was the face of the ‘Save Our Tigers’ campaign that promoted tiger conservation in India.
- In 2014, it was announced that Big B had recorded his voice and lent his image to the Hindi and English language versions of the TeachAIDS software, an international HIV/AIDS prevention education tool developed at Stanford University.
- He also has been a vocal “Brand Ambassador” of the “Swachh Bharat Mission” (SBM) and featured in a few advertisements to promote the campaign, and he also part of the “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” campaign.
- Big B was helping the Government of India promote its public health message concerning COVID-19, and he also helped the migrant workers to reach their homes during the lockdown.
- He has endorsed brands like “Maggi”, “Emami”, “Parker Pen”, “Lux Innerwear”, “Dabur Chawanprash”, “Dr Fixit”, “Cadbury”, “Pepsi”, “Tata Sky”, “Kalyan Jeweller”, “Navratna Oil”, “Gujarat Tourism”, “Mankind”,” Reid & Taylor”, “JustDial”, “ICICI Prudential Life”, “Flipkart”, “TVS Jupiter”, “Cadbury Dairy Milk”, “Cycle Agarbathi”, “First Cry”, and “Ghadi Detergent” etc.
- Big B used his screen name Vijay in over 20 films.